Training Your Waitstaff
When soup is on the menu, check totals, tips and profits soar. That's why it's so critical to make sure your team is putting the power of soup to work for you and for them.
Turn Your Staff into Soup Experts
- Offer soup tastings for your waitstaff and have your chef explain what makes your soups different and better.
- Develop simple, descriptive phrases to bring the soup to life and create a sensory image for guests. For example, "Our mushroom brie bisque is made with brie and shitake mushrooms."
- Encourage your staff to suggest soups to customers based on their own tasting experience. Guests often look to servers for recommendations.
Reinforce the Appeal of Soup
- Mention the soup-of-the-day to every customer when you present the menu and ask if they'd like to "start off" with a bowl of hot soup.
- Mention all the varieties you offer and be descriptive—selection is the primary motivator that drives soup orders.
- Take a few moments to add a garnish to every bowl or wipe away any drips from the rim, for a flawless presentation.